The main goals of diabetes management are to:
- carefully control blood glucose
- decrease the risks of low and high blood glucose levels, and
- control cardiovascular disease risk factors to help slow or possibly prevent diabetes-related health problems.
Here are five tips to help manage your diabetes:
- Test your blood glucose as recommended by your healthcare professional.
- Take your medicine as prescribed by the doctor, be it tablets (pills) or injectable medicines.
- Make healthy food choices.
- Include regular physical activity in your management plan with the guidance of your healthcare professionals.
- Learn all you can about your diabetes.
IDF Diabetes Atlas (8th Ed.) (2017). International Diabetes Federation: Brussels, Belgium. Online version accessed September 9, 2019